Good morning, fabulous people. Or afternoon, or evening, or whatever it happens to be as you read this. It’s morning for me, and I’m drinking coffee while the King of the Babies nibbles on his robot as he lounges next to me. Alex makes coffee for us every morning when he gets up for work, and I am given the luxury of waking daily to fresh coffee that’s made with unyielding love. Except when he’s traveling… then I have to make my own coffee and sadly, it’s terribly inferior to the love-coffee.
Pancakes. Oh, how they take me back to the delicious days of childhood. As a little girl waking up in my grandparents’ guest bedroom, I would stumble into the kitchen where my sweet little white-haired grandma would be whipping together Bisquick pancakes with one hand and stirring green chile with the other.
The smell of Bisquick – it might sound strange, but it is one of my favorite smells. It reminds me of my grandma, the sweetest, most wonderful woman in the world and how she would love on me in those early mornings. Because of her and because of those memories, I will never, ever love any pancakes more than my grandma’s simple, glorious, boxed pancakes – but these are a close second.
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal/flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes (optional)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon (or as much as you like)
- dash of salt
- 1/2 banana
- 3 eggs
- 3-4 tbsp almond milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbs honey
- Combine almond meal, coconut flakes, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in large bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mash banana. Add honey, vanilla, almond milk, honey, and eggs, and whisk until ingredients are well mixed.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients, stir.
- Heat griddle/pan with tab of butter or coconut oil to low/medium.
- Ladle mixture onto griddle and cook until the pancakes start to bubble. Flip and cook other side until browned.
- Serve yourself and save! (makes approximately 8 silver dollar sized cakes)
Think of this recipe as flexible and fluid. Play with it, tweak it, make it your own! Throw in a little pumpkin puree, blueberries, chocolate chips, whatever floats your boat. Add nutmeg, use almond extract instead of vanilla, get crazy!
Ah, grain-free perfection. This plate? Irresistible.
I love these pancakes! And I hope you do, too.